If you know me, you know of my love for The Indigo Girls. I started listening to them (thanks to Tory) when I was about 12 or 13. I was at her house, in her splatter painted bedroom and she got out a tape and wanted me to hear this band called, you guessed it, The Indigo Girls. The first song she played for me was called "Secure Yourself". I immediatly fell in love with the harmonies. I asked her to make copies of the tapes she had so I could take these 2 ladies home with me and listen to, memorize, and sing a long with them. She did and I did take them home and memorize every. single. word. My favorite song quickly became "The Wood Song". I haven't looked back since.
Indigo Girls music is a huge part of my life. When I first began listening to them, besides Tory (she was a few years older than me) I was the only one of my friends that liked them. That is, until sometime during my junior year in high school when old friendships were dissolving and I found myself hungry for new ones. I discovered that I was, in fact, not the only Indigo Girls fan in Wichita Falls. There just happened to be a few awesome gals at my high school who were also huge fans. If you guessed that we all became fast friends, you're correct.
Since then, the Indigo Girls have continued to bring people together. My friend and roommate in college, also an Indigo Girls fan. When I met Chad, he was not a fan, but because he loved me I was able to convince him to buy one of their albums. He even plays some of their songs on guitar for me an knows all the words to "Galileo". He's awesome!! And now to Jana - Devin and Chad had become friends because of law school. Jana and I were just the spouses of these 2 friends until one fabulous day at On The Border. I had gone to the bathroom and when I came back Chad said to me, "Guess what kind of music Jana likes?" Can you guess?
That was it. We we've been inseparable since.
I've seen the Indigo Girls in concert 4 times now. Each time with different people. The first was with high school friends, the second with Tory (to whom I owe many thanks for the introduction), the third was with my mom, and the fourth was actually just last Friday and it was with Jana. We also met up with another of my high school friends, Trish. Each time I see them, I love them more. However, I had never heard "The Wood Song" live. Friday night, I turned to Jana during a song and said, "I sure hope they play it." The very next song started and 3 notes in I knew it was "The Wood Song". I was so happy and immediately transported back to my bedroom in my parent's house where I had listened to it over and over. It was magical.
There is a sense of community among their fans. We can talk about our favorite songs and why, who we like more, Amy or Emily, how long we've been fans, whether or not we know all of the words to all of their songs. It's really fun.
While waiting for the show to begin the gentleman beside me leaned over and started reciting the lyrics to "Secure Yourself" and prompted me and Jana to finish the line. We did. He then did the same with "Power of Two" and again we took the challenge and completed the line. He decided we were cool enough to stand next to. Paul, who may have had a few too many, was very excited for the show and when the girls finally came out he proved that he too knew all of the words to all of the songs.
Jana and I sang our hearts out and danced away the calories from our vanilla cokes. My voice has yet to fully return. After the show we met up with my friend, Trish and her hilarious friend, Vicki. We stood and chatted as the crowd cleared out. We were pretty much the last ones left inside as the HOB crew began cleaning up when Trish pointed out that Amy had come back on stage for a split second to get something. It was then that Vicki, pointed behind us and said, "Well, there's Emily right there." At that we all turned around and sure enough, there was Emily standing only a few feet from us chatting with a couple of ladies. She made eye contact with us all and I don't know if we all of sudden looked like crazy people or what but she made her exit. I'm still bummed that I was that close to her and didn't get the chance to even say "Hi, I love your music and have since I was 12.", but that's ok. I still love you Emily.
It was a fantastic concert and a great night. As always, Jana brought her camera and captured the night. You even get to see Paul. Take a look.
Enter Paul
The Girls
Amy Ray and Emily Saliers
Me and Trish







2 comments:
Reading your thoughts here makes me love you even more.
So I totally cried during this post. Full on tears. It was a wonderful night. I look forward to many more moments with you, me, and The Girls and any other crazy Pauls or other fans we meet along the way.
Post a Comment