10.03.2010

That's what I like about you.

When you move to a new place, there's always some adjustment before it begins to feel like home. We've been in Longview over a year and sometimes we still feel like we're in the adjustment stage. So what is it that makes a new city feel like home? We'll come back to that.

Yesterday, we had lunch at Moe's (one of Jackson's favorite places in Longview) then we went to the Longview Fairgrounds to check out the annual "Touch a truck, feed a family" fundraiser for needy families. The entrance fee was a jar of peanut butter and the exhibits were real live police cars, helicopter, firetruck, armored trucks, tanks, Mack trucks, school buses, cranes, dump trucks, free ice cream, music, Chick-fil-a coupons and balloon animals. All for $1.99 (the cost of that jar of Peter Pan) While we were there we ran into not one, not two, but three people that we know. There's something very comforting about that.

So, back to my question of "What makes a new city feel like home?" I think that I was finally able to begin to answer that yesterday. We have a restaurant that we frequent (a couple actually), we have made friends and run into them throughout town, we love our church and our callings (they give us great purpose), we love our home and the comfort we feel there, our children have friends here and have them over to play as often as possible, and as of yesterday, I'm happy to say that I am proud of Longview. That truck fair was fantastic and made me more proud of the city I live in. Not only did we get to see some awesome trucks but we got to help needy families.

So, while Longview still probably would not have made my list of "Places I want to live in my lifetime", I'm happy for the opportunity that I have to be here. I know there is a reason our family is here at this time and I'm grateful for it.

Now, for a peek at our afternoon with the trucks.

Photobucket
notice the FREE ice cream
Photobucket
"The driver on the bus says, "Move on back."
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
As we approached the helicopter Caroline exclaimed, "It's a butterfly". That's close, I guess.

I somehow managed to capture only the very stoic moments of my children yesterday, but I promise there were lots of smiles and squeals of delight. I promise.

1 comment:

Janadt.Huggins said...

I really wanted to go to this. I got the flyer about it at Elliot's school one day and was bummed when I realized it was the day we were out of town. I agree with your commentary on what makes a home a home btw. Great insight.