1.17.2011

This little guy

Photobucket

I love this picture of my Dad. Wasn't he the cutest! Look at that little smile - so much mischief behind it. It's always been fun to look at pictures of my parents from when they were kids. I've often wished I could somehow see them that way - like "Back to the Future" style. Wouldn't it be fantastic to see what kind of trouble they gave their parents, or see them dancing around their bedroom to the latest new hit song, or see their faces on Christmas morning? If only there had been blogs and facebook and twitter back then to document every single moment of everything.

I've been thinking about my Dad and missing him. I may not have him here anymore but I'm grateful for the pictures I do have from throughout his life and I'm grateful for the memories I have to cherish. Dad would share stories with me from his childhood on occasion and I could never get enough. I would ask for story after story and I didn't even care if he repeated one. He gave his parents and his siblings a lot of grief and he talked about it with pride. And I loved hearing about it.

That mischievous little kid grew up to be a handsome, loving and hardworking man and taught me how to tie my shoes, how to ride my bike, how to make peanut butter crackers, how to drive and how to shoot a basket (even though I never really was any good at it).

I am grateful that I got to have him as my Dad. I wish I still had him here. I'd sure love to hear some more stories about that little guy.


2 comments:

K. Huggins said...

I've been yearning for one more talk with my sweet mother-in-law in these past few weeks. This post is close to home.

zan said...

I loved reading about your Daddy.
He was a wonderfully sweet man. I remember one very special time at a Christmas party at Sandy's. We were standing beside eash other and he was looking at your Mother as she was standing across the room. He said "isn't she beautiful"..............and I had to agree. The look on his face, was so sweet. love, Z