My Nanny turned 90. She celebrated surrounded by family and friends. We're grateful to have been part of the crowd.
This wonderful woman married my Papa about 25 years ago. I remember their wedding. I wore a dress and didn't bring a change of clothes. I regretted it when my newly acquired cousins went to play outside and I was restricted by my dress.
She is one of the most kind and generous people I know. She is classy and elegant and won't let you use the same plate for dessert as you used at dinner no matter how many times you insist it's fine. She has some of the most awesome sayings (and at the moment I can't remember any of them). She makes THE most delicious mashed potatoes. Her laugh is so genuine and her smile is contagious. She has had a very amazing life and is one of the strongest women I know because of it. You can read about it in the 2 books she's written. She can play a mean boogie woogie on the piano and will if you beg her enough.
Above anything else, she loves her family. And it doesn't even matter that my family is technically step. She loves us the same as if we were her own. I love that about her. Family is family and that's that.
this photo is blurry, but you get the idea.
The hand you see on her shoulder is that of her sister, Alice. They are so close and I imagine their young life was much like this party. Wherever my Nanny went, Alice was by her side. When they're together you can picture them as little girls walking hand in hand.
I love this lady and sure hope we get to celebrate many more birthdays with her.
















2 comments:
This was a beautifully written post. It brought tears to my eyes. She looks like a fabulous lady.
What a great celebration!
Post a Comment