Jackson has had many firsts in his short 5 years. For him, many of the things we do on a regular basis have been a first in the not so distant past.
Today we celebrated another first. First day of Kindergarten.
He woke easily and had a smile on his face before his eyes were even open.
He was excited. As was his sister. Caroline, who is NOT a morning person, woke up cheery and peppy.
They both sat and ate breakfast then got dressed. Both still excited. When it was time for the "first day" photoshoot, Caroline insisted on wearing her backpack as well. They both hopped and skipped, giddy as can be to the spots I told them to stand. They both cooperated and looked and smiled on command.
Then came the drive to school. It's a drive for sure. And the traffic, yikes! We made it, though and were able to take Jackson into his class. He remembered where to go and didn't seem at all nervous. As we made our way to his classroom, I pointed out the cafeteria and where his buddy, Gage's, classroom was. Then we were finally there outside the door of Mrs. Baker's classroom. We could hear her voice welcoming another student. She saw us and gave a welcoming hello then showed Jackson to his locker just outside the classroom. He has locker #11. It's on the top and we checked to make sure he could reach. He totally could. He put his red backpack and Darth Vader lunch box inside and closed the door.
It was getting closer to being time for us to leave him there. He still was not showing any signs of nerves. Chad and I, on the other hand were occasionaly choking back tears and my hands were S-W-E-A-T-Y! He walked into the classroom and Mrs. Baker directed him to his seat. He took the remaining empty seat at a table for 4 and immediately started talking with his table mates. We were so proud. We kissed him goodbye and made our way out the door (with a few glances back). He was already involved in what he was doing and didn't even look back at us once. We took a few steps down the hall when Chad went back to snap a picture of our precious boy at school.
We're so proud of him and know this is going to be a great school year.
In the pick up line playing Angry Birds.
He was excited to see us. I loved that I could see him when the helper brought him out. When he noticed our car I saw him say "There's my mom. That's my car." He gave a big wave and an even bigger smile. I was so happy to see him, too. And he wants to go back tomorrow so I'd say it was a...












2 comments:
You were not kidding when you said you got some awesome first day of school shots. Those are to die for precious. I love the one where they are hugging. Man you have some adorable kids. Way to go Newman family on first day of Kindergarten. It looks like you were all a hit.
Love all the pics!
Post a Comment