8.08.2012

A surprise return

Chad started his journey home from Wyoming on Sunday afternoon.  He told me they would make it to Dallas Monday night, stay the night there then make the last leg Tuesday morning.  I was thrilled.  I even tried to figure out a way to surprise him in Dallas.  Then he texted me Monday afternoon and asked, "How would you like it if I just came home tonight?"  WHAT?!  Yes, yes, yes!  

I decided not to tell the kids.  My thought was that they'd be asleep and just have the surprise of their life when they woke up.  It didn't quite work out that way.  

It was nice outside that evening and we stayed out playing until after dark.  When we came in and started heading toward bed, Chad called.  He was only 7 miles away from town.  I still had kids awake, dishes in the sink, sheets to put back on the bed and I smelled like outside.  Oh well, things weren't going to be absolutely perfect when he came back, but he was ALMOST HOME!

I got the children in bed, but knew they wouldn't be asleep by the time he came through the door.  I quickly put the sheets on the bed and started in on the dishes.  I had a fork in my hand when I heard his key in the door and our lovely alarm lady letting me know the front door was open.  I dropped the fork back in the water and rounded the corner as quickly as could.  

I hadn't really anticipated I would react the way I did.  Seeing him standing in our doorway was the sweetest sight I'd seen in a while.  I just wanted to hug him forever.  Tears filled my eyes and I just squeezed him and smelled him.  I had missed his smell.  

When I finally loosened my grip on him he said he'd go in and surprise the still awake children.  I grabbed my phone to record the glorious event.  Take a look.





We got to spend the entire day with him yesterday.  The children barely let him out of their sight.  We are all so happy to have him back with us.  And he has strict orders to never leave for that long again!


2 comments:

Hillary said...

I teared up reading this! So glad to know such a loving couple! So glad to be able to call you my friend! Love you Lacey!

ashley b said...

how sweet lacey. that video made me tear up. so glad you got him home early. now hopefully his next trip out goes by quickly!