1.23.2012

The day we read "I Broke My Trunk!"

The student of the week has the exciting privilege of inviting their parents to read a story to the class.  

That is what we did today.  First, we enjoyed a nice (?) McDonald's lunch with our special guy and all of his classmates.  {Note: If you want to make your kindergartner feel like a rockstar, bring him lunch.  If you want to feel like a rockstar, bring your kindergartner lunch.  His classmates will argue over who gets to sit by you.  Seriously.  They will.}  Then we followed the somewhat rowdy bunch back to class with Jackson leading us all (line leader is another privilege he has this week).

Once in the classroom, we both took our places on Mrs. Baker's special bench and waited for the go ahead to start reading.  Jackson and I chose a special book to share with the class.  It's one he got from Santa this past Christmas and has become a fast favorite.  We chose it because it reads like a conversation between the 2 main characters and we could read it together.  All together now, "Awwww".  



The book is called "I Broke My Trunk!" by Mo Willems.  It's about 2 friends - an elephant and a pig and the elephant telling the pig the story of how he broke his trunk.  It's so cute and funny.  You should check it out for yourself.  The elephant's name is Gerald.  Hilarious, right? 


Jackson read it beautifully.  I was so proud of him!  And the class loved it.  When we finished they all asked to read it again and a few said they wanted to find it in the library.  Hooray for sharing a love of books!

This afternoon he gets to share his pictures with the class and tell more about himself.  I'm so excited for this time that he is being celebrated in his class.  He is such an awesome boy and I am just beaming with pride for him.

1 comment:

Felicia said...

We will have to look for that one the next time we are in the library. Thanks for sharing!